In Fodderty people have lived since the earliest times. The remains of a Pictish hill-fort on a ridge next to the graveyard are still visible for those who are energetic enough to climb the crag called Knock Farrill.
Nothing much is left to be seen but remains of walls and ditches, there definitely were look-out posts from where warnings could be given by fire signals should enemies approach Strathpeffer.
Below the Pictish fort spreads the parish burying ground of Fodderty
North of the burying-ground at Fodderty, lies Croicht an’ Tean puil or Temple-croft, in which several stonecoffins have been found. One, containing two skeletons, was dug up within the last four years. Coffins of the same kind have been met with near Keppoch Lodge, and in the heights of the property of Hilton. The name usually given to them is Kistvaen, from “cist” a chest, and “maen” changed to vaen, a stone. Sometimes an urn has been found in them; but those discovered in this parish contained only bones and ashes. (New Statistical Account of Scotland)
Fodderty – ancient warfare, bones, and ashes. The unusual form of the dark Knock-Farril may have inspired some of the local myths.
Many superstitious notions still prevail among the common people. They are firm believers in dreams and warnings the “taisff” or “wraith” and also in a kind of fairies or cursed spirits who resided in a small knoll directly opposite Knock-Farril; by whom children were often stolen or changed, before they were christened. Here, the old inhabitants say that, even in their day, unearthly music has been heard and unearthly lights seen; but that the cursed spirits have been, long since, laid under a restraint which prevent them from making their appearance, or doing mischief as formerly. (New Statistical Account of Scotland)
The New Statistical Account of Scotland. Edinburgh, Blackwood and Sons, 1845