wisdom, wit, and common sense

Portree used to be called Kiltaraglen, named after an old chapel dedicated to Talorgan or Talarican, a Culdee monk of distinction. The Loch was called Saint Columba’s Loch. This all changed when King James V landed here in 1540. The place and the loch were now port-an-righ, the King’s landing place.   About two hundred... Continue Reading →

testimony of the rocks

Hugh Miller was born 1st January 1802, a new year that brought a new and influential life to the community of Cromarty, a small seaport on the Cromarty Firth. Hugh was passionate about stones and became a stone mason’s apprentice as soon as he was old enough. Later his ambitions became more refined, he studied geology.... Continue Reading →

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑