Cold, red sandstone against the pale blue water of the Moray Firth: Fort George. Mighty resting place, where the walls tower massively over a vast star-shaped ground.
At the back of the promontory, close to the sea, is the garrison’s chapel. It commemorates the dead of the past as well as the present.
Fort George, built after the Jacobite Rising in 1745, is used as a garrison until this day. In all these years, Fort George has never been attacked.
It now houses the Black Watch, 3rd Battaillon of The Royal Regiment of Scotland.
Those who died in the various wars of this time are remembered inside.
Originally Fort George was the depot of the Seaforth Highlanders. Later the Queen’s own Highlanders (Seaforth and Cameron), the only regiment with a Gaelic motto: Help the king – Cuidich ‘n Righ.
Fort George is a historic monument that can be visited by the public, check also current events, like the Celebration of the Centuries.